Saturday, June 02, 2007

Jun 1st - £215 PL Omaha - Gutshot

Only 45 runners for tonights PL Omaha event and half the players had not one clue as to how to play the game.

Having said that though you'd still need a great deal of luck to get to a final table where my 'bonus' money (see May 31st) awaited.

With only 5k in chips you were gonna be pretty much pot committed afer a couple of pre-flop raises so hand selection was gonna be pretty much the key. Not that I saw that much in the way of hands in the first hour or so and was unable to make any 'big' bets as such. Then I got lucky.

Holding A-Q-7-4 (suits unimportant) I flat called a raise from across the table. Usually when raises come in pre-flop in Omaha it points to a high pocket pair. My brain had gone into 'mush mode' in calling the raise. The flop was 9-5-4. So I had a pair of 4's...big deal.

The anticipated continuation bet came in from my opponent and for whatever reason I decided to call for all my chips!! I was up against A-A-K-7.

The poker gods smiled and a 4 fell on the turn giving me trips. A blank fell on the river and I was upto 8k. Wow!

Once again though my chip stack fell away. I saw no hands again until I get 3-4-5-6 and flat call the 200 blind. The player immediately to my left decides to 'pot' the pot and another player also decides to call for all his chips! Decision time!

If the 'potter' has A-A (highly likely) then I'm gambling to see a low flop. I decide that I should chance it and call.

Flop is 5-10-7. I have an open ended straight and a pair of 5's. I decide to gamble and pushed all-in which is duly called. The original 'potter' does indeed have A-A in hand along with two other random cards not associated with the flop.

The turn is a King, changing nothing, but a lovely 5 appears on the river giving me trips. Not so lucky for me was that the other caller in the pot also had a 5 with a higher kicker (9) so took the main pot whilst I got the side pot. I made 1k on the action :(

Anyway...I'm upto 10k with 20 players left. I had to sweat it out.

Player numbers continued to trickle down. At break 2 (8 levels played) there were 12 of us left. I had 9k in chips but with tables now short handed and blinds at 600-1200 I really couldn't afford to sit around and sweat out losing 3 more players (final table was 9). I needed a hand or two or preferably a double-up!

I then get Ks-Js-Kd-4h and decide to make a stand so raise it up. Another player calls. Flop is Qs-10s-8d. I immediately push and get the call. My opponent holds Q-J-x-x. Two blanks fall and my K-K doubles me through. Phew!

I then get 'really' lucky. Holding A-A-2-6 theres a raise and a re-raise all-in for 10k. I push all-n myself (15k) and the first raiser passes flipping K-K-x-x. My 'all-in' opponent holds Ks-Kc-Js-8c so all I have to do is avoid a black flush!

Flop is 9c-6s-4s (ruh roh)....As.....(doh)....4h (weeeeeeeeee) for a full house!!

Eleven players becomes 10 becomes 9......its final table time!!

Its a different game now. Mr Gryko goes out in 9th, Barry Martin 8th, Brian McDonald 7th.

I get 9-10-J-Q and call a pot sized opening bet from across the table. Flop is Qs-7s-Jh. I bet out 10k. My opponent goes all-in and I duly call.

He flips As-Ks-Kc-x. The 4s appears on the turn (completing his flush) and I cant make the full house by the river. I'm out in 6th for £540.

Oh...and plus the £600 from Nick S. which at the time of wring I await with anticipation appearing in my Pokerstars account :)

Entries -> 45 - Place -> 6th - Win-> £325 Profit/Loss for 2007 -> £1428
(As from 20th April 2007 rate of exchange is calculated at £1 = $2.00)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home