Monday, April 23, 2007

Apr 21st - £525 Gutshot Open (Gutshot Club E1)

The last time I played at the Gutshot, in a £300 event, I managed to worm my way into the event by playing in the last multi-table satellite held on the day. I realised, at the time, that concentating for 5 hours in that before finally winning a seat and then having to start all over again within a couple of hours was bloody hard work and despite the fact I went out of that event with A-K versus Q-Q I was very tired at the end of it.

Today I attempted to qualify for the nights £525 event via the same route. With a 12 noon start for the satellite and only 21 runners I figured it couldn't be too difficult to at least get a proper rest if successful in winning a seat!

The £30 rebuy satellite took in enough for 3 seats and £195 for 4th. Not bad!

In total I spent £150 after getting sucked out on early doors but a couple of rebuys and an add-on gave me just over 6k when the time to 'play proper' came around...more than enough to be getting on with.

Of course there comes the all defining hand which either makes or breaks you. Mine came with 10 players left.

With blinds at 350-700 and me having around 11k in chips I held 6s-6d in the BB. It was passed around to the SB who made it 2k to go and I flat called. Flop was Qs-9s-3s.

The SB checked. I bet out 3k...he went all-in and I, looking at only 5k left if I folded, called. The crafty SB held Kc-Kh!

I needed a spade....7c....6h.....weeeeeee!!!

Final table time and the short stacks soon busted leaving five of us looking for the seats. Three of us looked fairly certain of one whilst the two small stacks agreed a deal amongst themselves.

One of the small stacks went all-in and I gladly called with A-K. He held K-10 and didn't improve. Down to 4.

As one of the major stacks I was in no hurry to get involved and let two other stacks tussell for one seat versus £195.

It was 4.15pm and over. I was in the Gutshot Open!!!

------------------------------------------------------

Eighty seven runners each with 10k in chips and a 45 minute clock. I felt ok, at 6pm, as we got underway.

By the time the first break came around after 2 levels I was down to 6500 after a few 'hopeful' calls had got nowhere. Urghhh!

Things brightened up somewhat in level 3. Holding 2s-3s in LP I decided to call the 150 blind. No raises and three of us saw a 2h-2c-Kc flop. It was checked around and I too checked. Turn card was the 8s. Things then got interesting.

The BB bet out to 600. I mini-raised to 1200 and the BB then raised me back to 3k. Trying to look worried I flat called. The 4c fell on the river. Although a flush WAS there I felt it was irrelevant as I was pretty much pot committed anyway. The BB checked, I went all-in, BB called and flipped A-K in disgust! A major mistake on his part.

So now I'm upto 14k and feeling a bit better. Blinds go upto 100-200 and my next 'double up' occurs.

I get dealt A-A in EP and raise it up to 800. All pass to the BB who flat calls and we see a flop of K-4-4. BB checks...I bet out to 1200 and immediately the BB goes all-in for about 12k. Of course I call. He flips K-Q and although a Queen appears as the turn card an 8 falls on the river giving me Aces & Fours to beat out the Kings & Queens!!

At the end of level 4 I'm upto 28k.

Levels 5 & 6 come and go. I'm down a little...to 26k...but no worries however I'm about to suffer!

Level 7 and its almost midnight. I get 4-4 in LP and call a guy whos pretty short on chips (circa 12k) to 3k. Flop is A-3-5. He checks. Now I KNOW I'm behind here to his Ace and any move by me will get a response but I figure if I'm going to win I have to take chances SOMETIME. I go all-in and get an immediate call with his A-J. Any 4 or 2 will do!!

The turn card is a 9...the river a THREE! Boooooooo!!!

Ok...so first major hit of the night but it seemed to punch me mentally more than I though as I suddenly started to get agitated.

Twelve hours of poker and my brain was getting mushy.

An interesting hand then came up.

I held 4h-6h in LP. I look at these kind of hands as a potential '2 time winner'. The flush & the straight although I am prepared to drop them sharpish if things don't happen on the flop.

There was a raise out of EP to 2k. Two callers before it got to me...wonderful odds...I flat call. The SB decides to raise it up some more...to 7k. Original raiser calls as does one other player before it gets back to me. Pot is MASSIVE!! I, of course call!

Flop is a woozy Ad-3d-9h. I'm ready to fold...but no-one bets. Turn is the 7h. Ok...now I'm locked in. Any 5 or any heart...pleeeeeeasssssseeee! Again no-one bets.

River the 6s. Bah-humbug. Almost!! SB immediately bets out 10k. We all fold and SB flips A-3 for two pair on the flop. Little did he know he was 'this close' to being infertile with a swift kick between his legs.

So I'm down to 10k and its 12.30am. I'm tired and get all my chips in with Kc-2c...yes I know...hardly the bollux!

The good news is that there are two callers. Its a 30k+ pot which gets me back in the game if I can win it. Flop is A-Q-9 and I sigh. There's a bet, a fold, and I flip my meagre holding only to see A-Q from my opponent.

A King fell on the turn to make it interesting for all of 5 seconds until the 9d fell on the river to knock me out!

The guy who knocked me out went onto claim the £15k first prize. Good luck to him but it could have been o so different!

Entries -> 87 - Place -> 40th - Loss -> £150 Profit/Loss for 2007 -> -£1274
(As from 20th April 2007 rate of exchange is calculated at £1 = $2.00)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home