Wednesday, May 23, 2007

May 22nd - £100+£10 NL Hold'Em (Western)

Some evenings you dont have to work too hard for the money. Tonight at the Western was one such ocassion for me.

After a two week break from 'live' play I was eager to get back in the saddle and the £110 NL Hold'Em Freezeout at the Western is an ideal way of getting back amongst it.

A nice easy pace and a smallish field of 33 meant it was just a case of waiting for good cards (all too easy to say but not to do) and hoping to score a few points from the flop onwards.

Recently I've discovered a playing style can can prove quite lucrative if you're lucky enough and as its now fairly refined I'm trying my best to stick to it.

At the first break my chip stack had increased to 9k from a start point of 5k. No big hands to speak of and no 'all-in' moments either. I was playing relaxed and focused.

During the next three levels I again increased my stack somewhat, upto 22k. I knocked three players out during this period...

1) Called an all-in bet with A-Q for circa 3k. Opponent had A-5.

2) Called an all-in bet with A-J for circa 5k. Opponent held A-10.

3) Flat called a raise to 2k holding 10-10. Flop was Q-9-4. Check check. Turn another Queen. Check. I bet 2k. Opponent all-in. I call. He flips A-J. A 3 on the river gives me another 6k.

Another thing I found during the first few levels was that my A-K holdings (4 times) held up on each ocassion. Twice I got lucky when either an Ace or a King hit the flop and twice when betting out after crummy card flops. Makes a difference I can tell you.

And then there were 9. Final table at 1am and I have 24k in chips.

With only 5 getting paid I was watchful of the low chip stacks of which there were two.

Nine became eight as player A went all in with Q-Q only to see K-K behind him. Poor sod.

Eight became seven became six as Mr Low-Stack went all-in with Q-3 to be called by the big blind and his J-2. Things looked great for Mr Low-Stack on a flop of Q-3-5 but runner runner Jacks sent him out.

The other low stack at the table went all-in soon after with Q-J. I called with A-Q and we were in the money!

A lot of to-ing & fro-ing followed for circa 30 minutes before I asked if everyone wanted to split the prize pool for £650 each - rest to dealer. We were all approx 30k in chips and so all agreed.

So there you go...not a lot of action but a profit of £540 on the night. If only ALL nights were like these :)

Entries -> 33 - Place -> 5th - Win -> £540 Profit/Loss for 2007 -> -£512

(As from 20th April 2007 rate of exchange is calculated at £1 = $2.00)

1 Comments:

At 9:51 pm, Blogger nhggfu said...

nice result :) The Western in Acton is it?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home