Monday, January 08, 2007

Jan 6th - £30+£5 NL Hold'Em - Grosvenor (Victoria)

Saturday afternoon at the Grosvener and 37 of us sat down for the £30 NL game. Given that the majority of decent players avoid these kind of tournaments like the plague (they're usually still in bed at 2.30pm) then they're not that difficult to do well in and given a modicum of luck, which you still need, then reaching the final table is pretty much nailed on!

Of course it helps that players which attend these Sat afternoon games are generally recreational made up of players who can't lay down bottom pairs but I meandered my way through to the last 9 without sweating too much.

A couple of nice hands lifted my chip stack somewhat along the way. In one I held Qs-10s and in a four way pot, where we'd all put 300 in pre-flop, the flop came Qc-Qd-4c. We all checked! The 8c fell next. It was checked to me where upon I bet out 5k. A man holding K-K (no clubs) called for all his chips. The 4s fell on the river filling me up. Nice!

So...final table and I was in no rush to get involved. Lucky for me everyone else did and within 35 mins I was heads up with a young guy who, having just knocked out 2 people, held a 4/1 chip lead on me. This wasn't going to take long!

Three hands in and he went all-in. I looked and saw Qd-10d. Call! He flipped 4-4 and we were off to the races.

Flop 6-6-8. Turn 5. River 3. Ho Hum. Second place and £200...better than a slap in the chops with a wet fish!

Entries -> 37 - Place -> 2nd - Win -> £165 Profit/Loss for 2007 -> +£380
(As from 1st Jan 2007 rate of exchange is calculated at £1 = $1.90)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home